Thursday, April 23, 2009

Perspective

So last night I went on a drive to this lookout point in Salt Lake It’s clear up past the temple in this neighborhood overlooking the city. It’s one of my favorite places in the world. One thing I’ve tried to do over the past years in my life is to find a place overlooking whatever city I live in and make time to go there frequently. I even did this throughout my mission in the different cities where I served.
Here’s why I love it. It seems like far too frequently it’s easy to get caught up in the little stresses of life. My focus goes to what is immediately in front of me and I forget to look around me and notice life happening all around. When I go to these lookout points I can see the entire city where I live. I know that there are thousands of people below me who are struggling, who are loving, who are hurting, who are growing, learning, helping, living, doing, being and I’m reminded that my life doesn’t even take up a square inch of the city. I’m reminded that no matter what is going on around me I am okay, I am happy, I am grounded in truth, I am thriving, I am loved, I am supported. I know that I belong somewhere; even if the place is small it is mine. I am reminded that everyone around me has potential to do great thing and if I let those people into my life I have the opportunity to change and grow and expand myself as a person. I am reminded that there really is a “big picture”.
In Jacob 4:14 it talks about trying to “look beyond the mark” and by doing so you cause yourself to go blind…. Or in other words by trying to see things beyond what is necessary, or by focusing all of my energy on what is right in front of me rather than seeing life around me I inadvertently create blinders on my vision. It’s like putting sunglasses on at night and wondering why I can’t see clearly! There is an Ani DrFranco song called Hour Follow Hour and some of the lyrics say “…we can only hold so much is what I figure. Try and keep our eye on the big picture, picture keeps getting bigger.” Isn’t that cool? There is ALWAYS room for growth and thank goodness for that! There is always more out there to learn, more people who can and will influence your life for the better, and vice versa, there are thousands of people whose lives you can influence for the better. Ah perspective….what a great thing to gain!

1 comment:

PrincessAnna said...

You are so poetic. I love it.