Friday, April 24, 2009

I want to live in a world where I belong....

So I don't know if it was the fact that I hadn't been to a concert since November, or the fact that I got elbowed in the head by an angry fan, or the fact that I was promised protection from a lovely lesbian couple, but I had a fantastic time at the Travis concert held at The Depot on April 14th.
For those of you who aren't familiar with this band, please consider this your personal invitation to check them out. They have 5 albums out but I would recommend starting out with either The Boy With No Name, The Invisible Band, or The Man Who. Any one of these albums will change your life so please be my guest....
This band has been credited for paving the way for bands such as Coldplay, Keane and Snow Patrol. They aren't as well known but I think they prefer it that way. To me it says something about a band who can open the door for such famous bands but still maintain a lowkey profile...playing at venues whose maximum capacity is 1200. They are more interested in performing for their true fans rather than to sold-out stadiums full of people who are there because its "cool" to be there, or because they know one or two of their songs.
At one point during the concert I felt like the music was oozing out of the instruments and wrapping around me from head to toe. It felt purifying, it felt exhillarating, it felt calming. Somehow all of the stresses and worries and concerns I'd been carrying around were swallowed up in the lulling melodies. With Fran Healy on lead vocals, Dougie Payne on bass guitar, Andy Dunlop on lead guitar and Neil Primrose on drums (who looked alot like John Bonham from Led Zeppelin) it was nothing short of perfection.
At one point Fran came down into the audience and slow danced with a fan (the girl who elbowed me in the head actually grrr), and embraced audience members. He loved us, he serenaded us, he thanked us, he danced with us.
This is a band worth knowing and worth embedding into your daily life. Let Big Chair rock you to sleep, let Sing inspire you, let Selfish Jean motivate you......let Travis be part of the soundtrack of your life.

1 comment:

Dave Munk said...

it was a good show. fran was very engaging, and he really kept it real. what about when he stopped the music because the bass drum was reverbing in his mike, or when his thumb cramped up after playing britney spears? great show.