Thursday, January 21, 2010

Some Poetry

The scaly stench of the freshly caught fish Eyes ogling up at me,
cryptically begging to be set free. pity comes naturally. The ocean is their home,
it separates me from mine. the way the
ancient Italian women would waddle unwavering
through the open market
screaming to the vendors,
“Un kilo! Un kilo! Due euro! The sweet, acidic cocktail of their
biscotti and coffee breath
mingling with the salty fish. old friends
reunited. husbands dressed
to the nines scurrying behind them with
the day’s purchases in tow.
cobbly stones under my feet
demanding that I find my balance.
A permeating balance
the feel of my grimy European
money teasing
me through my coin purse
as I tried to find
the exact amount. Trading the
cool, metal coins in exchange for
A sun ripened albicocca.
I belong here. I remember:
Why I came here Why
I was terrified Why
I stayed for years.
Why I call it home.
I remember:

2 comments:

Amy said...

I'm happy to see that you updated. I always remembered you enjoyed writing poetry. It's good to see you still do. I really liked this one by the way. Hope you're doing well!

JoLyn said...

This is why I love talking to you. You always knew the right words to express exactly how you feel and it made it easy to relate to you.